Sunday, September 25, 2011

Triumph

There was once a man who lived deep inside the swamp. A hermit if you will. That damp and moist air made every man angry and every mosquito lively; nothing I would honestly undergo, even if there was a golden reward filled with honey. Of course he was no enlightened one or untouchable spiritual being. He was human like anybody else, so he complained a lot in the beginning.
Then I couldn't help but wonder: "Why are you here? No religion, government or person forced you into this. You just choose this way of life. Your salary was sound, you had a nice house with a family that really loved you. You left it all behind just to be alone. How is this possible?"
Each time I asked that way the old man gave me only a long persistent silence. I've seen him ever once in a while, when I carried some packages from other village and ventured through the forest and damp bog. I always thought, what an irresponsible and headstrong crazy person.

Year have passed and I once again carried some packages on my cart, listening to the percussion of my horses as I traveled around the primitive road through swamp. It was raining all day and the ground was especially moist and sticky, mosquitos were dancing with joy. I was bored and relaxed. But then I heard such a strange laughter. It scared me, however it was not a rambling yell of a lunatic, it was honest laughing almost like the one which can be produced only by innocent child. I went into the darkness to investigate. There was no one near the hut so I entered inside.

There I found the old hermit, laying on the hay, without a spark of life. He was white as bone and spotted with insect bites. But on his head was such a pleasant smile.

Then I noticed that he was holding a paper with a smudgy plant ink. I read it aloud and it still bothers me to this day.

"I understand it all now. Everything I did was a mistake and wrong. But I would never take it back, because the revelation was so strong that I do not pity a single moment of my wet jail. Whoever finds it, I will share with you an answer for all troubles you may find on your long road ahead. Live your life. That is all. Whatever will happen is good."

Still to this day I am curious if anybody will make a fire from the flame of that man's satori.




No comments:

Post a Comment