Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Gratitude

“What are you doing here in the fields, boy?” I asked.
There was a youngling kneeling in the grass and watching the sun setting over the horizon. He looked so absorbed in the thought that I had to repeat my question twice until he finally reacted:
“I am grateful. And to show appreciation I shared a silent thought with the nature.”
I was surprised... after all it is not common to hear such a words from a kid. But knowing that inside the mind of the young, refreshed from harsh reality, is sometime a hidden gem of knowledge, I continued the debate.
“Oh really? And what are you grateful for?”
“The life."
Well now I was curious. Something so common (and yet precious).
“And why?"
The kid looked me as I were from outer space.
“Well obviously, if I didn't have it, I couldn't feel anything at all. So I couldn't be grateful. But if I can have a feeling of gratitude, why not use it?”
But then I said to him: “Well, because you can feel anything, why gratitude? You could feel a hatred as well. There is a strife in the life.”
“I know that. But if there is something what or who created a life, I doubt it would enjoy the sight of eternal complaining from his subjects. Besides, I have some time before I become a grumpy old person like you mister.”
And he ran away from my sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment